Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chicken Dumpling Pie?


Growing up, it was always so exciting to hear that we were going down to visit Memaw and that she was making Chicken n Dumplings!! I decided I wanted to attempt a recipe for my slow cooker that would in some way imitate my Memaw's. I was certainly in for a shock -- tasty, but still a shock. 

The recipe was made up of simple ingredients- cubed chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth along with a few dashes of spice. Oh yeah, and refrigerator biscuit dough. I am almost ashamed to admit that! Especially if any of my culinary peers/instructors see this. But my intent in doing a slow cooker recipe was for something easy that I could throw together, so I swallowed my pride and purchased two cans of the biscuits I would later roll out into dumplings. 

It slow cooked for 6 hours, while I was busy at work, and when I got home I rolled out the biscuits and quartered each one to be placed in the aromatic liquid. I suppose you should never try out unmarked territory with presuppositions for the outcome... but I did that anyways. I assumed the dough would stay small and flat like my grandma's homemade ones. I never imagined they would expand as they did! They all floated to the top and expanded as if I had just turned over a pan of biscuits! Rolling them out, dividing them... they weren't even phased. 

I was a little nervous to try the dish, especially since we had invited our neighbor over (for the first time) for dinner. But I dished out our bowls anyways and waited for their reactions to decide if I would be heating up leftovers instead. Terrible, I know. I served dinner without even trying it! 




Definitely soupy, like I had grown up with... but I might even make it again! It was rich in flavor and the biscuits actually seemed to fit with the dish. 

Until next time, 

KC

2 comments:

  1. crazy katherine! what an odd dish, glad you liked it. Can I have your address please? Megan Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to know i am not the ONLY one that tries new recipes out on company! sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete